Singapore’s close relations with the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) are underpinned by strong economic ties. In 2015, Hong Kong was Singapore’s 6th largest trading partner and total bilateral trade amounted to S$58.2 billion. It is also our 3rd largest cumulative investment destination.
Both sides maintain close relations through frequent high-level exchanges as well as close working relationships between our government agencies. We also cooperate closely in functional areas through the Singapore-Hong Kong Civil Service Exchange Programme which started in 1997.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited Hong Kong from 25 to 26 September.
- Minister (Prime Minister’s Office) and Second Minister (Foreign Affairs) (Manpower) Mrs Josephine Teo made a working visit to Hong Kong on 1 September
- HKSAR Chief Executive Mrs Carrie Lam visited Singapore from 2 to 4 August.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean visited Hong Kong from 18 to 19 April.
- HKSAR Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Gregory So visited Singapore on 4 October.
- HKSAR Secretary for Civil Service Clement Chung visited Singapore from 2 to 5 March.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited Hong Kong from 21 to 23 January and spoke at the “Redefining the Next Asian New Town” Forum organised by AECOM and Asia Society.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong met HKSAR Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying twice in 2015. Both leaders met on 26 April in Kuala Lumpur, where Prime Minister Lee attended the 26th ASEAN Summit while Leung attended the 12th ASEAN Leadership Forum. The two leaders met again on 19 November on the sidelines of the APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting in Manila.
- HKSAR Secretary for Education Eddie Ng visited Singapore from 14 to 15 October to attend the OECD-Singapore Conference on Higher Education Futures.
- HKSAR Chief Secretary for Administration Carrie Lam visited Singapore from 23 to 25 July to attend the commemorative events for the 20th anniversary of the Hong Kong Economic and Trade Office in Singapore.
- Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference Vice-Chairman and former HKSAR Chief Executive Tung Chee Hwa visited Singapore twice. He first visited Singapore on 29 March for Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s State Funeral Service. He visited Singapore again from 20 to 21 July and delivered the keynote address at the FutureChina Global Forum on 20 July.
- Minister (Education) Heng Swee Keat visited Hong Kong from 28 to 31 January to attend the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) Conference.
Last updated: October 2017