Singapore and Indonesia enjoy warm and friendly ties. Our Leaders and Ministers work closely together bilaterally, as well as at ASEAN and various international fora to advance common interests. Over the years, we have maintained regular exchanges of high-level visits.
Our relations are underpinned by strong economic cooperation, with bilateral trade reaching $56.1 billion in 2016. Singapore has been the top foreign investor in Indonesia since 2014. Singapore and Indonesia are also each other’s top sources of tourist arrivals. Both countries also cooperate across a wide range of sectors, including health, defence and the environment.
Singapore and Indonesia celebrate 50 years of diplomatic relations in 2017. The slogan “RISING50” was coined for this milestone year. RISING is an amalgamation of “RI” for Republic of Indonesia, and “SING” for Singapore. Both countries have held commemorative events in celebration of the milestone. In Singapore, we organised a book reading of collaborative works by Singaporean and Indonesian writers and illustrators at the Asian Festival of Children’s Content in Singapore, the inaugural Indonesia-Singapore Interfaith and Intercultural Fellowship and Dialogue, and a Golden Jubilee RISING50 Ride featuring 100 bikers from Singapore and Indonesia. Commemorative events in Indonesia include a “Bring Your Own Computer” Coding Competition at Batam State Polytechnic, a fashion show featuring Singaporean and Indonesian designers at Galeries Lafayette in Jakarta, and a wind ensemble performance by the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts (NAFA) at the Singapore National Day Reception in Medan. The Consulates of the Republic of Singapore in Medan and Batam were also upgraded to Consulates-General in August 2017 as a sign of Singapore’s commitment to deepen our engagement with Indonesia.
- Joint submission by Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan and Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi of the Treaty Between the Republic of Singapore and the Republic of Indonesia Relating to the Delimitation of the Territorial Seas in the Eastern Part of the Strait of Singapore for registration with the United Nations on 25 September.
- Visit by Indonesian President Joko Widodo to Singapore for the Singapore-Indonesia Leaders’ Retreat on 7 September. The Leaders’ Retreat commemorated the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Singapore and Indonesia (RISING50). The theme of the retreat was “Trusted Partners, RISING Together”. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and President Joko Widodo agreed to cooperate in areas such as digital technology, vocational training, and tourism. Nine MOUs were signed during the Leaders’ Retreat. Both Leaders also witnessed a joint flypast by the Republic of Singapore Air Force and the Indonesian Air Force, as well as a joint performance by the military bands from the Singapore Armed Forces and the Indonesian National Armed Forces. Both Leaders also attended the Singapore-Indonesia Investment Forum.
- Visit by Indonesian Minister of Industry Airlangga Hartarto to Singapore from 6 to 11 September as the 56th Lee Kuan Yew Exchange Fellow.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan visited Medan in North Sumatra Province and Batam in Riau Islands (KEPRI) Province from 29 to 30 August. Minister Balakrishnan officiated at the upgrading of the Consulates of the Republic of Singapore in Medan and Batam to Consulates-General, and was the Guest of Honour at the Singapore National Day Receptions in Medan and in Batam.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean visited Jakarta from 10 to 12 August where he was the Guest of Honour at the 52nd National Day Reception and at the Singapore Community Day.
- Minister (Trade & Industry)(Trade) Lim Hng Kiang visited Jakarta from 27 to 28 July to co-chair the 7th Singapore-Indonesia Six Bilateral Economic Working Groups Ministerial Meeting (6WGMM) with Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs Darmin Nasution. Both Ministers witnessed the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding to establish the Indonesia-Singapore Business Council. Mr Lim also met Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Pandjaitan, Minister of Trade Enggartiasto Lukita, and Indonesia Investment Coordinating Board Chairman Thomas Lembong.
- Senior Minister of State (Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Foreign Affairs) Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman visited Pekanbaru, Riau Province and Jambi City, Jambi Province from 25 to 28 July. Dr Maliki met Riau Governor Arsyadjuliandi Rachman, Pekanbaru Mayor Firdaus, Jambi Vice-Governor Fachrori Umar and Jambi City Mayor Syarif Fasha and Vice-Mayor Abdullah Sani. This visit is part of Singapore’s continued efforts to expand cooperation and deepen ties with Indonesia at the regional level.
- Minister (Environment and Water Resources) Masagos Zulkifli visited Palembang, South Sumatra Province, and Jakarta from 10 to 12 July to further cooperation in the environmental sector. Mr Masagos met Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto, Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Pandjaitan, and South Sumatra Governor Alex Noerdin, as well as representatives from environmental NGOs and the business community. During the visit Mr Masagos conveyed details of our Haze Assistance Package, and reaffirmed Singapore’s commitment to cooperate with Indonesia on addressing environmental challenges.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made a working visit to Batam, Riau Islands Province on 25 April. During the visit, Dr Vivian met Riau Islands Governor Nurdin Basirun and Batam Mayor Muhammad Rudi. Batam is one of Singapore’s closest neighbours with whom we share deep economic and people-to-people linkages.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean was in Jakarta to attend the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) Commemorative Leaders’ Summit as Special Envoy of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and to meet several prominent Indonesian personalities and Indonesian leaders, including Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal and Security Affairs Wiranto, Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs Luhut Pandjaitan, and PDI-P Chairperson Megawati Soekarnoputri.
- Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi visited Singapore from 9 to 10 February. Minister Marsudi and Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan exchanged the Instruments of Ratification for the Treaty between the Republic of Singapore and the Republic of Indonesia relating to the Delimitation of the Territorial Seas of the Two Countries in the Eastern Part of the Strait of Singapore. Both Foreign Ministers also jointly announced that Singapore and Indonesia would commemorate the 50th anniversary of bilateral relations in 2017.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Indonesian President Joko Widodo met in Semarang, Central Java, for the Singapore-Indonesia Leaders’ Retreat on 14 November.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made an introductory visit to Indonesia from 12 to 13 January.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean visited Jakarta from 23 to 25 November.
- Indonesian Vice-President Jusuf Kalla visited Singapore on 9 August for the SG50 National Day Parade.
- Indonesian President Joko Widodo made a State Visit to Singapore from 28 to 29 July.
- Former Indonesian President Megawati Soekarnoputri and Indonesian Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture Puan Maharani visited Singapore on 5 June for the Opening Ceremony of the SEA Games.
- Former Indonesian President Dr Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono visited Singapore from 10 to 11 April for the inaugural Singapore Forum and delivered the keynote address.
Last updated: October 2017