Singapore and Malaysia have a long-standing, broad and multifaceted relationship. Bilateral trade, investment, and tourism ties are robust. There are regular high-level exchanges such as the Leaders’ Retreat, Joint Ministerial Committee (JMC) meetings on Iskandar Malaysia, and Ministerial level visits. Other interactions including bilateral cultural events, such as the Titian Budaya showcase, have fostered stronger bonds between our countries.
The signing of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail (HSR) Bilateral Agreement (BA) in December 2016 marked a historic moment in bilateral relations. This marquee project will improve connectivity, deepen people-to-people ties and catalyse further economic cooperation.
- Chairman of the Fisheries Development Authority of Malaysia and Malaysian Member of Parliament for Kuala Selangor (Selangor) Dato’ Sri Dr Irmohizam Ibrahim visited Singapore from 2 to 5 October under MFA’s Distinguished Visitors Programme (DVP). The DVP invites outstanding foreign dignitaries to Singapore to help forge closer bilateral ties and foster mutual cooperation through the exchange of views with Singapore leaders and officials.
- Parliamentary Secretary (Home Affairs and Health) Amrin Amin attended the 4th Pangkor Dialogue in Perak from 10 to 12 September, where he spoke about Singapore’s perspectives on ASEAN and its future.
- Minister (Culture, Community and Youth) Grace Fu, Senior Minister of State (Culture, Community and Youth & Trade and Industry) Sim Ann, Parliamentary Secretary (Culture, Community and Youth) Baey Yam Keng and Singapore National Olympic Council President Tan Chuan-Jin visited Kuala Lumpur to support our athletes competing at the 29th SEA Games and the 9th ASEAN Para Games which were held from 19 to 30 August and from 17 to 23 September, respectively.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean and Mrs Teo visited Johor on 14 August as Special Representatives of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to attend the royal wedding of Her Highness Tunku Tun Aminah Maimunah Iskandariah Binti Sultan Ibrahim, the daughter of Their Royal Highnesses the Sultan of Johor Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar and Permaisuri Johor Raja Zarith Sofiah Binti Almarhum Sultan Idris Shah, to Mr Dennis Muhammad Bin Abdullah.Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan hosted the Sultan of Selangor His Royal Highness Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah to breakfast on 25 July.
- Minister of State (Ministry of Manpower and Ministry of Foreign Affairs) Sam Tan visited Johor, Malaysia for the Hari Raya Open House hosted by Malaysian Deputy Minister (Home Affairs) Nur Jazlan Mohamed on 16 July.
- Minister (Prime Minister’s Office) and Second Minister (Manpower and Foreign Affairs) Josephine Teo hosted Malaysian Minister (Communications and Multimedia) Dr Salleh Said Keruak to breakfast on 7 July. Minister Salleh was in Singapore for the 11th Musika Ekstravaganza on 7 July, an annual gala variety programme which showcases musical talents from Singapore and Malaysia.
- Minister (Health) Gan Kim Yong and Minister (Prime Minister’s Office) and Second Minister (Home Affairs and National Development) Desmond Lee attended the Hari Raya Open House hosted by the Sultan of Johor, His Royal Highness Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar, on 25 June at the Istana Bukit Serene, Johor Bahru.
- Senior Minister of State (Defence and Foreign Affairs) Dr Maliki Osman made a working visit to Kuala Lumpur (KL) and Malacca from 15 to 16 March. In KL, he met his Malaysian counterparts Deputy Defence Minister Johari Baharum and Deputy Foreign Minister Reezal Merican. In Malacca, he met Governor Khalil Yaakob, Chief Minister Idris Haron, State Assembly Speaker Othman Muhamad, and members of the Malacca State EXCO.
- Malaysian Minister of Defence Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Hussein visited Singapore from 22 to 24 January as the keynote speaker for the IISS Fullerton Forum: The Shangri-La Dialogue (SLD) Sherpa Meeting.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak met in Putrajaya for the 7th Malaysia-Singapore Leaders’ Retreat on 13 December. Both leaders also witnessed the signing of the HSR BA by Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure & Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan and Malaysian Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Abdul Rahman Dahlan.
- Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean made a working visit to Kuala Lumpur from 15 to 16 August.
- Senior Minister of State (Defence and Foreign Affairs) Dr Mohamad Maliki Osman made a working visit to Negeri Sembilan and Selangor from 17 to 19 August.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made a working visit to Putrajaya on 19 July to jointly witness the signing of the MOU on the HSR project with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan visited Sabah from 1 to 3 April. He also hosted a reception to express appreciation for the assistance rendered by the Malaysian Government, Sabah State government, and local Sabahans in the aftermath of the Sabah earthquake in June 2015.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made a working visit to Sarawak from 2 to 3 February.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs) Dr Vivian Balakrishnan made his introductory visit to Malaysia from 29 to 30 October.
- Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong visited Kuala Lumpur to speak at the Global Transformation Forum’s (GTF) “Premier Forum” panel session, alongside other former Heads of Government.
- Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak visited Singapore from 9 to 10 August and attended the SG50 National Day Parade. The Sultan of Johor, His Royal Highness Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar, and the Tunku Temenggong Johor, His Highness Idris Iskandar Ismail Abdul Rahman Ibni Sultan Ibrahim also visited on 9 August to attend the parade.
- Minister (Prime Minister’s Office) Chan Chun Sing and Minister (Social and Family Development) Tan Chuan-Jin attended the Hari Raya Open House hosted by the Sultan of Johor, His Royal Highness Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar on 17 July 2015.
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak met in Singapore for the 6th Malaysia-Singapore Leaders’ Retreat from 4 to 5 May.
- Minister (Foreign Affairs and Law) K Shanmugam and his wife visited Johor on 23 March to attend the Coronation of the Sultan of Johor, His Royal Highness Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.
Last updated: December 2017